Handy things to know
It’s so frustrating when we are victims of crime when it involves our vehicles. They’re designed to keep criminals away, yet this does not stop them taking their chances.
Here are a few handy tips to try and discourage them:
- Valuables – Keep all valuables and documents out of sight or take them from the vehicle when leaving.
- Engine off – Keeping your car running or your keys in the ignition is an invitation for trouble, no matter how long you will be away from the car.
- Help others – Encourage people in your neighbourhood to take these same steps to secure their vehicles.
- Insure everything – Make sure you’re covered. Use a valid insurance provider to guarantee that you have a valid policy.
- Check your property – Write the registration number on the car stereo, engine and bike frame, which will make those parts easier to trace if stolen.
- Lock it up – If you have a car, make sure you lock your doors. If you've got a bike, purchase a secure bike lock to deter thieves.
- Evaluate each situation – Before you leave your vehicle or property, you may need to change or adapt your security.