There are many different crimes that people may be involved in against their will.
If you know of someone to whom you think this may apply, you can tell us anonymously, without needing to give any of your details or speak to the police.
These are usually newly-acquired residences with either a limited amount of homely features or none at all - they also tend not to have the normal activities associated with them that you would expect when new people move into a property.
Often lived in by one or more Eastern European girls, who may not always live fully at the property and may be dropped off and collected each day by a dominant individual. You may notice frequent visitors, usually male ones, who do not stay for long periods of time.
Male or female dominating and controlling over one or more adult sex workers, who may appear scared and frightened by this person.
Sexual abuse or exploitation
Similar to enforced prostitution with sexual assault, controlling behaviours, threats and/or violence.
People working in poor conditions for long periods of time for minimal wage. Usually with a controlling supervisor or manager.
How to read the signs of Forced Labour
- Have you noticed heavy security personnel at the premises in question? (This could be a factory, farm or construction site)
- Are there barred windows, locked doors or electronic surveillance cameras?
- Does it look like people are living and working at the same address?
- Are the ‘workers’ driven in between premises?
- Victims are often forced to live in cramped and/or overcrowded conditions
- They are collected very early and/or returned late at night on a regular basis
- May have inappropriate clothing for the work they are performing, and/or a lack of safety equipment
- Victims physical appearance may show signs of injury, malnourishment, and their general appearance may be unkempt
- They may be isolated from the local community and/or appear to be under the control or influence of others
Join the fight against human trafficking
Help us in the fight against human trafficking by watching and sharing our video (below), mention #ReadTheSigns and join the discussion on Twitter to encourage those in the know to pass on any information to us, safe in the knowledge we will never disclose the identity of anyone who gets in touch with us.
People with unexpected or unexplained disposable wealth, usually noticeable with the acquirement of high value goods, cars, jewellery and/or holidays beyond their predicted means.
Use or distribution of illegal drugs
Class A drugs being organised and distributed. Do you have information on high-up drug perpetrators, logistical details, locations used to store Class A drugs or the vehicles used to transport them?